Which Course

Which electrical safety course do I need? 

Choosing the correct electrical safety training course can be difficult from the large number that are available. A few are detailed here:

  • Electrical safety training courses
  • Basic electrical safety courses
  • Electrical health and safety courses
  • Electrical safety certificate courses (issued by a certified electrician)
  • Professional qualifications such as 18th edition certificate
  • Electrical safety courses online

Do you need a professional qualification?

For a professional electrician, there are different qualifications for low and high voltage installations.you need to decide whether you are working on low or high voltage installations. Low voltages are up to 1000 V a.c. or 1500 V d.c.

The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting, NICEIC, is an excellent place to find courses and help if you are or want to become a professional electrician.

What electrical safety training course do you need to comply with electricity at work regulations? 

Legislation and Regulations

The laws and regulations that apply in the work place can be broken down into two sections:

Initial integrity (safety) of new work equipment

General duties covering the use and maintenance of work equipment

  • Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
  • Section 2 and 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
  • Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
  • Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998

To comply with the relevant sections and parts of the laws and regulations described above an online electrical safety awareness course is all that is required. This course covers electrical systems, risk assessments and safe working practices when using electrical equipment. On successful completion of the course a RoSPA certificate is issued.

What does the online electrical safety training course by Commodious cover?

The course is split into 3 modules.

Module 1 covers supply and distribution and an introduction to AC and DC current, 3 Phase electricity and the National Grid. Transformers, mains supplies, ring mains, flexes and plugs and safety devices such as Residual Current Devices (RCD).

Module 2 covers risk assessments and the legislation and regulations. How to reducing risk by safe installation, choosing suitable equipment and reducing voltages. How to decide upon worker competence. Underground power cables and overhead power lines are discussed and the specific risks posed by Electrified Railways and Tramways. The last part of the module covers maintenance and repairs of electrical equipment.

Module 3 covers portable appliances in detail and the regulations covering PAT testing. Specifically whether it has to be done, who by and how often if at all. Portable Equipment and its construction is discussed and the definitions of:

  • Class 1 - Earthed
  • Class 2 - Double Insulated

What user checks and inspections are required, covering visual Inspections, inspection and testing and people's competencies specifically:

  • Level 1
  • Level 2

Lastly a section is devoted to record keeping and maintenance Log and inspection Labels. More details on this £10 online course are available here.